Monday, May 18, 2009

The Hot Weather is Here: It's Salad Time!

It's starting to get close to the time when I stay indoors everyday between the hours of noon and 6pm because it is just too hot outside.  Forget about trying to take Theo anywhere.  We went to the dog park at 1pm yesterday and it was already scorching.  I forgot to sunscreen my toes, and now they're a nice tomato color.  Oops!  With the weather as it is, I was not much in the mood for using the stove or over yesterday, and with all the great salad recipes I was seeing, I managed pretty well.

Before I get to this week's food, I should mention that I didn't post anything last week because I didn't cook last week.  I was out of town in St. Louis, so it was eating out every meal.  Poor Husband had to fend for himself.  He was definitely thinner when I got home.  Hehe.  I won't go into where I ate while I was out there, but I do want to mention roly poly.   I'd never heard of it before, but it's like a subway, but with wraps, and way more options.  It was delicious!  Why can't we get one in California get one within 60 miles of where I live? 

This week's cold food:
  • Broccoli slaw, courtesy of Smitten Kitchen.  I got broccoli pre-cut at Trader Joe's, so this only took minutes!  I substituted yogurt for about 1/3 of the mayo called for, just to be a little healthier, and I couldn't taste a difference.  I think I won't even use half a red onion next time I make this.  A little red onion goes a long way for me, so maybe just 1/3.  I'm curious to try the original recipe.  I do love me some rice wine and lemon juice.
  • Corn, mango, and jicama salad with honey vinaigrette, courtesy of Pinch My Salt.  I've made this salad about three or four times now (one of my few repeats!).  I love it.  I've always thought mango and avocado go great together, and the jicama and corn provide a really nice crunch.  It's a little plain, but once you add the dressing it is phenomenal!  I couldn't wait until mangoes were in season, just so I could make this salad again.
  • Chicken curry salad sandwiches.  I kind of got the recipe here, but it's really not much of a recipe (add obvious ingredients in whatever quantity you want, lol).  I added celery and currants (why do I dislike raisins but have no objection to currants?) to mine.  I forgot about the nuts, but I don't think they were needed.  Like the slaw, I substituted yogurt and a little sour cream (both low fat) for some of the mayo.  I always still use some mayo because I don't want it to taste like diet food, and there's nothing wrong with a little fat.  I probably used about a tablespoon of curry powder.  It definitely had a nice curry flavoring, but I think I could have added a lot more before it was too strong. I put the salad on some focaccia-type rolls from Trader Joe's, piled with arugula.  It was fantastic.
  • Husband broke out his manly grilling skills and made some kabobs with bbq chicken, bell pepper, pineapple, onion, cherry tomatoes, and red potatoes.  Haven't tried those yet.
So far the week is shaping up to be delicious!

No comments: