Thursday, May 28, 2009

An Easy Week

I was feeling pretty uninspired this weekend, and just wanted to take it easy.  I've been run down with a cold for almost 10 days straight (it will not go away!!!), so that probably had something to do with it.  

I ended up just doing an easy Asian noodle dish with fried tofu (with chicken for Husband), a ton of veggies, and an easy peanut sauce.  Since I was doing just one dish this week, I took my time and julienned some carrots, zuccinni, and green onions.  I added some mushrooms, celery, garlic, and ginger too.  The sauce was just peanut butter, soy sauce, corn starch, and a little bit of seasame oil.  So easy, and so delicious!  I used fresh Asian noodles that you can buy in the produce section of the grocery store.  That really makes the difference in the dish for me.

Husband was whining for muffins all weekend, so Sunday afternoon I whipped up these oatmeal and blueberry muffins.    These muffins are really delicious, ridiculously easy to make, and surprisingly light.  I doubled up on the blueberries because I love me some blueberries!  I was surprised they lasted all the way until Wednesday.  The last time I made them Husband polished them off before 24 hours was up.  

I'd also like to try this other oatmeal blueberry muffin recipe.  This one cuts out the white flour and adds applesauce.  It sounds fantastic.  I literally am down to my last 1/2 cup of whole wheat flour, so I'll have to try it out another time.  I'm really craving baked goods with oatmeal lately, so I might continue with oatmeal cookies or oatmeal banana bread or something.

I also tried my hand at more bread baking.  It didn't turn out so great, unfortunately.  I tried this whole wheat no-knead bread recipe (note: you have to register to view the recipe, but registering is free). My dough didn't rise to the occasion.  It was a total dud.  I was so bummed!  Husband insisted I bake it anyway, and it's a brick, but it's a delicious brick, I must say.  I want to try this again.  I'm wondering if I just had a bad packet of yeast.  Next time I'll try letting the yeast sit in the water for a few minutes to activate it.  Don't know if that'll work, I really know nothing about the science of bread-making.  But I'll give it a go because I want this recipe to work.

No comments: